"Emergency repair of bleeding colon"

About: Queen's Medical Centre / Accident and emergency

In Sep 2015 I had colon cancer removed at QMC.

On 22nd Sep 2016 I had follow up colonoscopy at the Circle which found 4 polyps and these were removed. On 26th Sep I collapsed at home losing blood from colon. Following 999 call the ambulance service were there within 20 mins and I was taken to A&E. The problem was quickly diagnosed as a bleed from the site of a polyp removal. This was repaired and I was discharged on 29th Sep. The staff were very professional, compassionate and efficient. Everything was explained fully before the procedure and my questions answered. As the procedure was performed I was told what was happening and how I could help. The doctor and their team were so kind and considerate. When back in the ward, the nursing staff, catering staff and cleaning staff were very caring, very professional and worked well as a team. This was the NHS at its best.

Thank you for being there when I needed you.

Response from Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust

We are grateful for your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. We are pleased that you had good care and treatment in our Emergency Department. We’ve shared your kind words with the team who send their best wishes.

Kind regards,

Jane Newton, Matron, Emergency Department.