"Cancelled appointment and Doctor's lack of knowledge"

About: Crawley Hospital / Neurology

I went to Crawley Hospital for what I thought was an appointment for a second opinion on my condition. I had originally asked my doctor for Botox injections into the nerves in the back of my neck to help stop my head tremor (I have Essential Tremor). It is widely known that this is successful in counteracting my no no head shake. There are also details on the NHS website. I was told that it was not possible. I persevered & eventually my doctor said I would be referred to their superior. I even wrote a letter to their superior's secretary letting them know of the urgently & hoping I would get an early appointment. I have a letter saying that I had an appointment my usual doctor or another member of the team, but when I arrived I was told that there was no such appointment & that my doctor had left! I had to arrange a lift to the hospital as I have difficulty driving. I have fibromyalgia and hip bursitis so walking is also a problem. What is going on? My last appointment with my doctor was was 7 months ago and I have waited for this appointment hoping that I was getting my second opinion.

So my doctor leaves & their patients just disappear? There's a huge hole in your system somewhere. Surely their patient list & appointments should be passed onto their colleagues to re-arrange.

I would like someone to contact me as soon as possible to discuss the situation. More importantly, when am I actually getting my second opinion?

Response from Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Zazwal,

We are very concernend to hear your story. It is clear that our service has fallen short for you and we need to look into what has happened in greater detail. Stories on Patient Opinion are anonymous and so for us to do this could you please email Charminia Fletcher who is the service manager of medical specialties with your contact details. Her email details are: Charminia.Fletcher@sash.nhs.uk.

With best wishes,

Nicola Shopland

Divisional chief nurse, medicine

Update posted by zazwal (the patient)

I have already complained to SASH/PALS but have yet to hear back from them, even to acknowledge my complaint!

Response from Nicola Shopland, Divisional Chief Nurse for Medicine, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear zazwal

Would you like to email me your name then I can investigate with comlpaints where we are?

Update posted by zazwal (the patient)

Thank you. I have just emailed charminia.fletcher@sash.nhs.uk but will forward you the email.

Many thanks