"Having to phone to be on a waiting list"

About: Lanarkshire Community Services / Podiatry

(as a parent/guardian),

I was referred to podiatry in NHS Lanarkshire via my GP. However I received a letter informing me that I was on waiting list and had to phone another number (answering machine) to remain on the list. The letter was confusing and only gave me a short time to phone to remain on the list. If I was on holiday I would have missed this.

The idea that one has to phone to remain on a list is disgraceful. I am sure that lots of people like myself miss this and therefore fall off "the list"

To me this looks like a cynical ploy to reduce the waiting lists. Now I am unsure whether I am on or off this "list". Totally confusing for patients.

To me this is not patient centred at all, this is service centred.

Response from Peter McCrossan, Director for Allied Health Professions, Allied Health Professionals, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear terry1234,

I am sorry that you have experienced issues in trying to speak to a member of the podiatry staff. Like a number of Allied Health Professions within NHS Lanarkshire, the podiatry service is experiencing issues with patients who do not keep their appointments.

To try and overcome the number of patients who do not attend for their appointments. In some instances, this can reach 20%. Therefore, the service has adopted an “opt in” approach to try and reduce the number of wasted appointments in the system. Obviously, following your comments this system needs to be refined.

I will speak to the head of the podiatry service and ask that the processes are reviewed and improved.