"Sadly inadequate in my case"

I found the outpatients' department had a feeling of despair about it. The staff seemed disinterested and some were unhelpful. I felt their processing method confusing, such as telling the patient to collect a number (from where? Not obvious to the patient), to leaving the referral letter "in the box" (what box? Not obvious to the patient). I'm sure this method may help when the outpatients department is busy but not when there was only me in the whole department. Very odd. The consultant I saw, after a 45 minute wait, didn't want to listen to what I had to say, and was intent on filling out the yellow discharge form. After three months of waiting for this appointment and four years suffering with deteriorating osteo-arthritis and related symptoms, I am in despair and feel very unsupported. My ambition is to return to full health and perhaps even work again but it won't be achieved by visiting this hospital.

Response from Royal National Mineral Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience of the RNHRD.

I am very sorry to read that you were unhappy with the RNHRD outpatient department.

Our goal is always to provide the most appropriate care to our patients.

It would be difficult for me to comment on your experience without some specific information from you but we would be happy to look into this.

If you would like us to do so please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01225 825656 or via email at ruh-tr.PatientAdviceandLiaisonService@nhs.net and a member of the team will take you through the next steps of the process.