About: Darlington Memorial Hospital / Accident and emergency Darlington Memorial Hospital Accident and emergency Darlington DL3 6HX
We have a holiday cottage attached to our house in Weardale. We are very concerned that a guest staying with us was bitten by an Adder. As it happened in our garden another guest was able to photograph the snake. They were worried their little dog would be bitten so they attempted to pick the snake up and put it into a plastic container not knowing the snake was venomous. Unfortunately it bit the 20 year old man. Subsequently he went to Bishop Auckland urgent care and on to Darlington but both departments said it was impossible for him to have a snake bite in this country. The doctor refused to look at the photograph of the snake on the relatives phone. The patient was given antibiotics. He is fine, no ill effects but what if he had been a toddler or old person!!
There is a sign at Bollihope Beck warning people about Adders on the fell. Surely some extra training needs to be implemented to raise awareness on this subject.