"Outpatients Gynaecology Dept"

About: East Surrey Hospital / Gynaecology East Surrey Hospital / Maternity

Had an outpatients appointment and was surprised to find that this appointment was run alongside the Antenatal appointment clinic, with waiting for both departments in the same area.

Having previously been infertile and under the gynaecology department I know just how upsetting it is to have to wait with women in advanced pregnancy when you are having problems conceiving and I had hoped that this cruel practice of the waiting area for both clinics being together had been dealt with by now. I suggest it may need looking into again?

My consultant was very helpful and his HCA most friendly and reassuring.

Response from Bill Kilvington, Assistant Director for Women and Children's, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust We are preparing to make a change

Dear Claudecat

Thank you for posting these helpful comments about your recent visit to the hospital. We do have a long-term plan to seperate our antenatal and gynaecology outpatient services, but unfortunately this is just not possible without new outpatients facilities being built.

I do understand that the current waiting arrangements may be distressing for some patients, but we feel overall it is more important to continue to be able to offer appointments as quickly as possible rather than increase waiting times by running clinics on different days.

Associate Director - Women and Child Health

Update posted by Claudecat (the patient)

Thank you for your response. I understand your comments but do feel that a private room could be made available for patients with these concerns .

Response from Bill Kilvington, Assistant Director for Women and Children's, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust We have made a change

Dear Claudecat

Thank you for replying and this helpful point. I will speak with the matrons for gynaecology and midwifery to ensure that they offer to take any ladies who are unhappy or that they can see may become distressed into one of the offices while they wait.

I understand that this is not a perfect solution, but I do hope it helps reduce any distress.

Bill Kilvington

• Claudecat thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by Claudecat (the patient)

Well done Mr Kilvington,

A great solution, thank you for your imput and discussions with the department Matrons. I hope this will help the outpatients who feel they need this help.

You should be commended for your interest and assistance with this matter.

Regards

Claudecat.

Dear Claudecat

Thank you for your kind comments and understanding. Really the purpose of my job is to try to ensure we give the best experience possible to our patients and their families and I am glad to have had this opportunity to improve things, even if only a little.

Best wishes