"Reluctant visit to A & E"

About: East Surrey Hospital / Accident and emergency East Surrey Hospital / Older people's healthcare

Last Saturday I suffered a series of dizzy spells and was persuaded to go to A & E. My last experience of this (decades ago! ) had not been good and I was not looking forward to renewing my acquaintance with the department.

In the event, my fears were groundless. From booking in to discharge, my experience was of an excellent service - the staff were friendly, caring and attentive, working together in a calm and efficient manner whilst ensuring that everything was clearly explained at each step. The whole working environment looked well organised, clean and tidy. I could not fault a single thing.

Response from Cathy White, Patient Experience Lead, Patient Experience Team, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear GrampsG,

Few people choose to experience our emergency department, but we are always pleased to hear how happy they are with the care they received when they do. As a Trust we have come a long way over the last five years and we are proud that our emergency department is now one of the best performing in the country on the Friends and Family test, which asks how likely a person would be to recommend the care that they received.

I will make sure that the staff in the department are made aware of your feedback. It's a busy environment that they work in and it's great to hear that you felt they provided such good care.

With best wishes,

Cathy White

Patient experience lead

• GrampsG thinks this response is helpful