"I was not looked after with dignity and respect"

About: Tameside General Hospital / General surgery

Arrived for my procedure, was booked in, vital signs were taken and was told to change into my gown. I was unable to identify the staff member dealing with me as they failed to introduce their name and position to me, quickly gave me my verbal instructions, asking me if I had a booklet that was sent to me, with consent etc. I replied that I had not received any booklet or indeed signed any consent for my procedure. They then completed their task and then left.

During my procedure which I found very uncomfortable, and pushed and pulled about when they asked me to change positions, bearing in mind that at this time I was under a sedative so was unable to jump at their first request. I remember a Nurse kindly informed me that I had received 100mg of Fentanyl and also Midazolam, which I percieved to be in a sarcastic manner as I believe they thought I was exaggerating my symptoms. However I remember one nurse informing dr, who was performing my colonoscopy that I had become very clammy and she wiped my forehead with a damp cloth. Bless her! !

Although I am thankful to the unit for rearranging my appointment at short notice as I had also previously received a letter to state that I had cancelled a previous appt, this I replied I had not done. However back to the point of this letter, I know only too well the pressures of the NHS but I feel that during my procedure I was not looked after with dignity and respect like I should have been.

I believe that my appt was one of the last ones of the day and even though I did not want to overstay my welcome. Felt rushed to the tea room. Where I can honestly say I was looked after by a lovely young lady who I was speaking to as she was doing her nurse training. This young girl was polite and looked after her patients, she will be a credit to the NHS on qualifying. However my experience on this day was blighted by an awful experience which I has encountered that day. I have no complaints with Tameside as a whole, but I feel a bit of compassion is necessary from certain staff members.

Response from Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust

We are really sorry you have had cause to raise these concerns.

If you would like to contact the PALS and Complaints team on 0161 922 4466 or email palsandcomplaints@tgh.nhs.uk and provide specific details, we can investigate this for you and provide you with a comprehensive response.

In the meantime, your anonymous concerns have been fed back to the department and team overseeing colonoscopy.