"This experience left me feeling reluctant to seek further medical help"

About: NHS 24 / NHS 24 (111 service) Wishaw General Hospital / Emergency department

I attended the a&e department after suffering with severe headache, sickness and high bp over past couple of days. Also collapsing the night before. I have previous heart condition, high bp and bells palsy. This in conjunction with having a 4 month old, I felt it could not wait until monday to be seen. I tried NHS 24 but couldnt get through so took myself in, because I was concerned about possible stroke. After waiting like everyone else I was called through by triage. I explained the reason for my visit to be told other people had been waiting 13 1/2hrs and if nhs 24 was busy then so were they. I was told even if I waited I would recieve no medication. I was left feeling even more stressed about the situation and that I basically wasted their time. I felt this was no way to treat a worried patient, that it could be said in a more diplomatic manner and left me feeling reluctant to seek further medical help.

Response from Shona Lawrence, Patient Affairs Manager, NHS 24

Dear Teddymum

Thank you for sharing your experience on Patient Opinion. I read your story with concern and I appreciate that this will have been a worrying time for you and for your family.

I note you mention an attempt to contact NHS 24 and that you were unable to get through to our service. I am very sorry for this and understand that this would have added to an already stressful situation.

There are times when our service does experience a sharp rise in calls and, as much as possible, we try to manage our staffing levels to ensure that calls are answered and managed quickly and safely.

Should you care to contact me further to provide some additional detail, then I would be pleased to explore your NHS 24 feedback further. I can be contacted on 0141 337 4582 or by email at patientaffairs@nhs24.scot.nhs.uk

Thank you again for sharing your story and I do wish you well. I am sure my colleagues within NHS Lanarkshire will be keen to explore your feedback also.

With kind regards

Shona Lawrence

NHS 24 Patient Affairs Manager

• Teddymum thinks this response is helpful

Response from Faith McCrea, Service Manager, Emergency & Medical Services, Wishaw General Hospital

Dear Teddymum

I am sorry to hear of your experience attending our Emergency Department here at Wishaw General Hospital, at what must have been a very worrying time for you.

We have been experiencing high volumes of patients attending the department; however please be assured that we endeavour to ensure appropriate information and treatment to all patients at all times.

Further information would be helpful to be able to understand the activity within the department at this time, therefore could I ask that you contact Yvonne Ross our Patient Affairs Manager on 01698 366558, with more information to allow us to be able to feedback to you.

Kind Regards,