"My experience"

About: London Road Community Hospital

I am under a consultant who is very clinical and cold. There doesn't appear to be any warmth or kindness there which makes it incredibly difficult to form a therapeutic relationship. I don't feel able to talk to this person about anything personal and they make me feel very uncomfortable. In terms of treatment I was told that my GP prescribes one medication incorrectly and that I am partly to blame for taking the medication. I was told that it would be beneficial for me to not take any medication for my illness, with the idea behind this being that I simply 'get stronger'. I asked if I could have therapy to help me do this and I was told it wasn't available to me. I asked about a medication reduction and was told that this reduction wouldn't have been problematic to other patients and that my illness was due to my beliefs about my medication. Overall I find the service is dire. There has been no therapeutic effect that came from me being told I had to 'be stronger' and I am struggling to understand why this would be said in a mental health setting in 2016.

Response from London Road Community Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience and may I please take this opportunity to offer you my apologies for the upset caused.

We would be happy to investigate this episode of care for you in more detail and if this is something you would like to do, please contact the Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS ) on 0800 783 7691.

Kind Regards,