"Visit to A&E with abdominal pains!!"

About: Pilgrim Hospital

On Monday I had the misfortune to visit A&E for severe abdominal pains. Initial treatment good, arrived at 1.15, called into unit at 1.30. Seen by some underling who I did not know what their role was, looked in disgust at me when I offered them a tissue with a 'sample' on! (Hey, c'mon, it won't bite you).Blood pressure taken, temp taken, blood samples taken, drip installed, (badly, more later) then off for X-rays. All very attentive for an hour, then nothing for three, just left to lie on rock hard bed, in severe pain for four hours. No offer of any painkillers, no checking if I needed to go to the toilet, (would have needed help because of the drip). no thoughts of checking on a really hot day in a really warm unit whether I needed a drink or anything! After waiting four hours, got the attention of a nurse, asked what I was waiting for. Apparently blood test results and X-ray results, on asking how much longer, they had no idea. It was highly likely that I was going to asked to stay in overnight! Then they noticed my drip wasn't working! Four hours sitting with the discomfort of a drip that had not even been put in right! At that I told them to get the damn thing out of my arm I was off home. Anxiety levels stretched to their limits, sick of waiting for whatever whilst in great pain, wasn't hanging around anymore! I will avoid Pilgrims A&E at all cost in the future!

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Anonymous,

I was very concerned to read your feedback, and would like to be able to investigate fully the circumstances surrounding your visit.

Could I please ask you to e-mail directly, at Kelly.harwood@ulh.nhs.uk, with your name, date of birth, the date you attended A&E and, if possible, a contact telephone number. When you respond, could you please quote reference PO 313127.

Once I have your details I will be able to identify and speak with the team members involved in your episode of care, and then contact you further with a full explanation.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your poor experience, and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Regards,