"More than Words course has made a difference"

About: Wishaw General Hospital / General Medicine

(as a parent/guardian),

I recently attended a More than Words Hanen course as my son is diagnosed with social communication disorder.

I cannot say enough good things about this course and the therapist who ran it, Anne. Anne provided great suggestions for us to follow and it was good to meet other parents going through similar situations.

I know a lot of people will be put off by the thought of being filmed with their child but I can say from experience that the filming only plays a small part and its not as invasive as you could imagine. We were filmed using Anne's iPad and you are so busy concentrating on the task at hand that you do not notice. It provided great insight in to how you and your child interact and may throw up some things that you wouldn't otherwise notice.

My son is now coming along great and other people have noticed the change in him, I cannot thank Anne and the other parents enough for all their support and help,

Response from Pauline Downie, Professional Lead, Speech & Language Therapy Services, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Jamesy Jampot

Thank you for your positive feedback about the More Than Words Course and the speech and language therapist Anne. I will pass your comments on to Anne.

I am glad you commented on the filming as this can make people anxious-however it is, as you say, an integral part of the course and can really help in the learning process. I am pleased that you and your child have benefitted from attending this course and wish you continued progress.

Kindest regards