"Condition deteriorating after procedure but still discharged."

About: Aberdeen Royal Infirmary Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh at Little France / General Surgery

I was discharged from Edinburgh Royal Infirmary (Little France) after a heart procedure under general anaesthetic, which was performed earlier the same day even though my blood pressure was dropping and pulse rate increased. The staff were trying to close the ward for the weekend even though paperwork stated “overnight stay required”. I suffered a massive internal bleed hours later which required blood transfusions and a 5 night stay in HDU in Aberdeen. Aberdeen Royal Infirmary were good.

Response from Jeannette Morrison, Head of Patient Experience, NHS Lothian

Dear J12,

I am so sorry to read what happened to you following your stay at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh.

I would like to look into this for you and wonder if you can please contact the Patient Experience Team:

Telephone: 0131 536 3370

Post: 2 - 4 Waterloo Place, Edinburgh, EH1 3EG

I look forward to hearing from you

Response from Linda Oldroyd, Nurse Consultant Patient Safety and Experience, NHS Grampian

Dear J12

I am very sorry to hear about the complications of your procedure. I hope you are well now.

I would like to thank you for sharing your praise of Aberdeen Royal Infirmary on Patient Opinion.

I will make sure the staff concerned are made aware of your feedback.

Best wishes,