"Long waiting times"

About: Blackpool Victoria Hospital

I went to a and e and I arrived at8.30pm and I was told I had a2hour wait and at12 pm I still wasn't seen so I went home not happy at all

Response from Andrew Heath, Lead in Patient Experience & Engagement, Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for sharing your experience of our Emergency Department (A&E). The department is under severe pressure due to the number of patients it is currently seeing and delivering optimum care in these circumstances is challenging.

Staff in the department are prioritising patients to ensure those who need urgent care are treated quickly, which means that those with less serious conditions or minor ailments often have to wait longer than we would want them to.

So that long waits can be avoided we continue to advise people to consider alternatives before attending the Emergency Department (A&E) if their condition or injury is not an emergency. These alternatives include but are not limited to: Visiting their GP Practice, Telephoning NHS 111, Visiting their local pharmacy or the GP Walk in Centre.

I will ensure I pass your comments on to the staff in the Emergency Department so they are aware of the delay you experienced and how this was communicated to you.

Yours sincerely