"Broken toe"

About: Altrincham General Hospital

I came into your minor injuries department after stubbing my toe on a wardrobe and being in considerable pain for a few days. I came in and was xrayed quickly. However, the nurse missed the fact I had a broken toe pm the xray and I was sent home with no pain relief or anything. Only to get a call a week later to inform me I did have a broken toe, which I had been walking/working on for that time. Poor training I believe is what leads to this issue, as I was able to spot the break on the xray.

Response from Patient Experience Team, Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to learn that your experience was not as positive as we would hope. It is important to us that comments are heard and seen as an opportunity provided to the service to make changes and improvements wherever possible.

The Manager for the Minor Injuries Unit at Altrincham Hospital explains that ENPs (Emergency Nurse Practitioners) undertake specific training in the assessment, diagnosing and treatment of minor injuries. Unfortunately in this instance, the ENP did not see the fracture on the x-ray. All x-rays are reviewed by reporting Radiographers/Radiologists which happened in this case. More recently this service has improved and the timeframe for these reports to be returned to the unit has greatly reduced.

We are unable to investigate and respond to your concerns as fully as would we like due to the lack of detailed information. We would therefore be grateful if you could contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0161 276 8686 or email the service on pals@cmft.nhs.uk to discuss your concerns further.