"Poor communication from consultant level"

About: New Victoria Hospital (Glasgow)

I attended an outpatient appointment today the consultant did not introduce themselves. The latest campaign hello my name is....... I think that this needs to be brought to consultant level and remind them they should be introducing themselves before completing a procedure. Secondly when administering a local anaesthetic it requires time to work not for this to be administered and within 15 seconds start the procedure. I have never been treated so undignified by a consultant in my life. The nurses however could not have been more pleasant.

Dear AHE,

I'm really sorry that this was your experience at your appointment yesterday - making sure patients are treated with dignity and respect is the most fundamental part of any interaction between patients and our staff and I'm sorry that this was not how you were made to feel.

The Hello My Name Is campaign is absolutely for every member of staff in NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, and the expectations set out in this are just as much for consultants as for any other member of staff, particularly when they are responsible for carrying out procedures or examinations on patients. While this particular campaign advocates the simple introducing yourself to a patient when you come into contact with them, the underlying message is that no matter which member of staff you come into contact with (whether consultant, a cleaner, a receptionist or a nurse) you will be treated with kindness. I'm glad that this was what you experienced with the nurses, and I am sure that for the most part, this is what people experience from the vast majority of our staff.

There are a couple of things we can do here to address this - if you give me a little more information about the department you were seen in yesterday, I can certainly pass on your feedback to ensure that this is discussed at all levels, and particularly with the consultant team. Alternatively, if you would like to give more specific details about the consultant that you seen so that this can be raised with them specifically, you can do that too. If you could email me directly on lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk, we can work out the best way forward.

With best wishes,