"I will not be returning"

About: Luton & Dunstable Hospital

I had an appointment booked for 08.00 and I duly arrived at 07.20.

I had to fast for the scan so was anxious to have it and then I could have something to eat & drink.

A member of staff wandered in about 07.55 with a large costa coffee.

Then I overheard a conversation that I was not supposed to hear, and that was this person asking if they could be hurried through as they had another place to be.

What this is in effect is someone considering themselves the most important person on the planet, and queuing is for lesser people.

I was then amazed when the staff member, told they not to worry, they would get seen next!

Lo and behold another staff member called the patient's name and began ushering them towards the MRI room.

But at this stage, I intervened and remonstrated with the staff member about queue jumping. The member of staff waffled on about a scanner being down leading to the delay, but was unaware that I had overheard the story about this person having to be somewhere else.

I pointed out that we all have other places to be, and if the patient had to be somewhere else, then they should have cancelled & rebooked.

Staff colluding in process jumping does the hospital no good whatsoever, and I certainly will be taking this further.

I was so angry I had to leave the hospital, and did not have my scan. I will be informing all relevant parties of my absolute disgust, and will ask for my scan to be performed at a proper hospital (Bedford) who do not cater for blatant queue jumping.

I will add that I have COPD, cardiovascular disease, MPN, and am recovering from recent head & neck cancer surgery.

Did I ask for preferential treatment?

Not on your life!

Brush up on your lying, it will obviously get you further.

Disgraceful staff & even more disgraceful patient!!!

Response from Luton & Dunstable Hospital

We are very concerned to hear that your experience has been an unpleasant one. Please be assured that we will investigate this matter as much as we can from the information given.

We would encourage you to contact our Patient Affairs Office directly on 01582 497 002, or email complaints.officer@ldh.nhs.uk if you would like us to address any of your concerns further.