"Treatment for Follicular Lymphoma"

About: City Hospital campus / Clinical haematology

I give full credit to my GP who took my concerns about a lump in my abdomen seriously. It turned out to be an enlarged spleen which on further investigation was found to be due to me having Follicular Lymphoma.

The emergency cancer referral to the QMC in Nottingham went really well, and eventually after a few tests / scans / blood tests I was referred to the Nottingham City Hospital Haematology Dept.

This is a new modern facility, which has a very good reputation for excellent treatment and care for the patients. A biopsy of one of the lymph nodes in my abdomen led to complications (ascites or swelling of the abdomen) which required a hospital stay of a week to have the fluid drained and for the administering of my first Chemo treatment. I stayed in the Toghill ward and found the care provided by the doctors and nursing staff to be "First Class" and a credit to the NHS. The staff were motivated and highly professional and always had the time to spend with their patients despite a very busy workload.

All in all, I have been very satisfied with the NHS and the standard of care that I am receiving. I am now hopeful for a full recovery to good health.

Response from Helen Limb, Patient and Public Involvement Manager, NHS Rushcliffe Clinical Commissioning Group

Thank you for taking the time to give your story regarding your recent treatment at NUH City Hospital. I am pleased that your expereince was a positive one, especially during a difficult time for you.

I shall forward your comments on to the hospital, as they are always keen to have feedback from patients.

I wish you all the best for your recovery and the future.