"Brilliant nurse"

About: Aberdeen Royal Infirmary / Gynaecology Services

After receiving irregular smear results a few years ago, this progressed to me needing colposcopy and laser treatment at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary. I have had several smear tests since and I have always felt very well monitored by NHS Grampian for changes to the cells on my cervix. Today I had another six-monthly smear at Inverurie Health Centre and the nurse I had today - Nurse Sharpe - was just brilliant. Of all the tests I've had over the years, this was easily the most pleasant - if you can ever describe a smear as pleasant! Nurse Sharpe was extremely thorough in her questioning and very knowledgeable in her explanation of the issues I've had and explained how to properly carry out breast examinations too, which I hadn't been shown before. This was all delivered with a very reassuring manner. I'm only too aware of how important smear tests are, but all I can say is that I think knowing someone as lovely and professional as Nurse Sharpe would be treating you would encourage others to go for their examinations too.

Response from Linda Oldroyd, Nurse Consultant Patient Safety and Experience, NHS Grampian

Dear Alex23

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your feedback on Patient Opinion. It will be reassuring for a lot of people to hear how well NHS Grampian looks after people who have similar issues to the ones you have had to face.

Staff are grateful for all feedback but I am sure that, in particular, Nurse Sharpe will be delighted and honoured to be mentioned by name.

It is important for us, as NHS staff to take account of what matters to people and under the circumstances it is not difficult to understand why professionalism, reassurance and good education were important to you.

Many thanks again for your feedback. We will, of course ensure that it is shared with staff.

Kind regards,