"Receptionist attitude"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / Dermatology

I am writing to complain about my reception at the dermatology department in Lincoln county hospital.

Before I explain how I thought the receptionist in the dermatology department reception was rude, ignorant and unhelpful toward me, I would like to say the doctor and nurse I saw were excellent. The clinical staff were friendly professional and competent and I was very pleased with the clinical service.

In my opinion, the receptionist was patronising unprofessional and upset me greatly. Their manner was rude and belittling, I did wonder if there was a hidden camera and it was a candied camera joke. It was not funny and made a already stressful situation far worse.

When I found my way through the hospital to what I thought was the dermatology department there was no sign I could see only a small reception window.

I handed my appoint letter to the receptionist and I asked whether that was the place I was supposed to be for the appointment, to which they looked at the paper and asked me whether I could see that it said "dermatology" at the top of the letter.

Well obviously it did as the receptionist could see the letter but I had no idea if this was the dermatology department or if this was the correct reception window. But I said “yes”

The patronising attitude continued as I was told that it was obviously the dermatology department then.

This of course was no help as I just wanted to book in but I continued and asked whether I can book an appointment.

I couldn’t believe but I was then asked whether I have booked already. Well clearly if I didn’t know if this was the department and I was asking if I could book in here I thought it was obvious I hadn’t.

So I was a bit taken aback but said that I hadn't and I was told that in that case I could book in, but still didn’t book me in even though my appointment letter was there just continued to do something else until I had to ask again.

I thought it was just so patronising and so unhelpful, I had to read out my details and was finally begrudgingly booked in.

All hospital appointments are stressful for the patient, when the test is to see if a skin lesion is cancer it is already a worrying experience the last thing needed is a patronising jobs worth receptionist deliberately trying to be unhelpful and ignorant.

I would like to complain in the strongest possible terms about the conduct of the receptionist. But remembering that the clinical staff were very good

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Rocke

Many thanks for your comment on Patient Opinion.

I would like to apologise for the way you felt during your visit to the dermatology department. The behaviour of the receptionist is clearly not acceptable, and is certainly not in line with the standards the Trust expects its team members to display.

In order for me to look into it further I would like to ask that you contact me on Samantha.daniels@ulh.nhs.uk with details of the date and time of your attendance, and your name and date of birth.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies.

Kind regards,