"Rude nurse"

About: Glasgow Royal Infirmary / Cardiology

In ward 50/51 at Glasgow Royal Infirmary with heart issues. Walking my wife to exit I was stopped by nurse who asked where I was going.

When I explained, the nurse said "that'll be right! Going for a fag"

I would have reacted more strongly, but did not want to embarrass my good lady.

I later signed myself out to protect myself from responding badly to this nurse, who I feel should not be working in the NHS.

Dear davekay,

I am really sorry to read this as the last thing that we would want or expect is for any of our patients to be made to feel like they were being treated with anything other than kindness and respect. While we know that this is in fact the case for the majority of our patients, there is definitely learning we can take away from your story and I'm particularly sorry that this made you feel that you would rather leave the hospital's care.

I would always encourage anyone using our services to raise any issues they have at the time, with the nurse in charge of the ward - this would allow the nurse in charge to work to resolve the situation immediately, and as such hopefully preventing the situation escalating further, like it did in your case with you feeling you wanted to discharge yourself. While I know that there are many reasons why patients or their families may not feel comfortable doing so, we are working hard to create a culture where this is much more routine, and where all people using our services know that they can raise any concerns knowing only that this will lead to improvement.

I am glad though that you have written to us about your experience however, as even though we cannot change the outcome of what happened with you personally, I would hope that this will allow us to reflect on the different ways we speak to patients and to be mindful of the impact that can have. We will use your story to highlight this to relevant staff and to demonstrate the importance of how we communicate.

I hope that your health continues to improve and wish you all the best,