"No Dignity or respect over sensitive Matter"

About: University Hospital Lewisham

Whilst visiting a relative on the respiratory ward, I have to say how disgusted I was after over hearing a very sensitive conversation between another patient and her relatives. The discussion about a DNR was being taken place, the relative was adamant that she did not want to speak anymore about having a DNR in place for her mother and that she has already made her decision, however the Dr was persistent and kept talking about it. I work for another NHS Trust and cannot believe how insensitive this Dr was, Conversations regarding DNRs should not be taking place around the beside so everyone else can hear, relatives should be taken to a quiet room. There's was absolutely no dignity or respect shown at all.

Response from University Hospital Lewisham

I am sorry to learn that the privacy that a discussion around DNACPR warrants was not accorded to the patient and her family, and that others in the bay overheard this conversation.

We have passed this on to the parties involved and have informed them that a quiet room is available for such discussions.

We will also make all the medical teams on the ward aware of this, to minimise recurrence.

Kind Regards