"Out Patients - Inefficient, archaic and a waste..."

About: Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital

Having to visit out patients on a monthly basis is a tideous and frustrating process I wouldn't wish on anyone. My first experience when told to book the next available app after my initial visit was that I had to wait 8 weeks. Subsequent monthly visits i have been in the "over book" category which I can only assume means double book or maybe triple book an appointment. I also have to insist on sticking to a 4 week window due to only having a 30 day prescription as I have been offered appointments 6 weeks ahead. When attending for my consultations I think the quickest I have been seen is 1hr 15mins after my app time (this was a 9am app) at worst it has been nearly 2 hours (this was a 1.30 app). To then not even get an apology and no acknowledgement of my time being wasted. This has recently been made worse by a letter received stating my next app in June has been cancelled and when phoning to rebook I have been told this can't be done. I have again stated my medication only lasts for 30 days so need to see someone and despite chasing and leaving messages for the consultants secretary I am still waiting. Overall an awful service that makes me feel extremely frustrated.

Response from Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback via NHS Choices. I am sorry that your visits to our Outpatients department have not been of the high standards we aim to achieve. I have shared these comments with the clinical leaders, however, if you wish to discuss your experience further please do not hesitate to contact our customer care team on 01256 486766 or email customercare@hhft.nhs.uk, who will be happy to help.

Mary Edwards, Chief Executive