"Feeling very alone."

About: Good Hope Hospital / General medicine

I went for an Endoscopy on in the morning after suffering severe stomach cramp and losing blood. The treatment I received was really good and the nurses could not have been better, they were great. I was told that I needed a CT scan by the doctor as my case seemed serious. I had the scan on the same day but had to wait nearly 6 hours which I did. I left the hospital around an hour after that. From that time until now 4.5 days later, I have heard nothing. I have attempted to make contact to get an update on what's happening with MY LIFE! I have had very little sleep since the day of my scan fearing the worst. I did call the Endoscopy nurse the day after the scan where all I could do was leave a message. I was then and still am in pain and losing blood. Yes, I am scared and feel that this "cold process" of leaving someone in this position is not right.

I even left a voice message 2 days after my scan with the doctor who carried out the Endoscopy on a direct line for a call back to me but nothing has come back whatsoever. I was told by the doctor and the nurse that I called on Tuesday, that my biopsies would be rushed back, hopefully to allow the consultants to discuss my case at the Friday morning meeting that they hold. However, I was warned that if they were not received by Friday then I would have to wait until next Friday. I do appreciate that these things take time and that the staff are very busy but just waiting and being told nothing is a very lonely place to be. I should know if my case is being discussed this Friday and not have to chase for answers. I will sit here now until 8; 30am and see who I can call, but alas I have no number and no one to speak too in my time of need. I will be honest I don't want someone telling me you will have to be patient as that will not help me sleep, I need to know quickly what the next steps are because what's inside me is spreading whilst my life is put on hold.

Dear PeterS

Thank you for your post regarding your recent experience at Good Hope Hospital for an Endoscopy and a scan.

I am sorry to learn that you feel you have not been given any feedback or update as to what is happening to you and I would very much like to look into this for you.

Can I please ask you to contact me on 0121 424 0808 or by email: marie.helebert@nhs.net at your earliest convenience so that I can make some enquiries on your behalf, and establish what the delay is.

I hope this is acceptable and I look forward to hearing from you.

With kind regards