"Disgraceful staff behaviour on discharging me."

About: Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Due for discharge on April 24th, I was told at 7.30am that I had to vacate the bed, and my bed space was invaded by 5 or 6 staff. Breakfast was all but thrown at me, I was half washed and my belongings shoved roughly into my bag, with no distinction between clean and dirty, and no care with washing things, books or anything else. Suddenly abandoned wet and naked, I had to finish washing, dry myself, eat breakfast and dress, all with a newly replaced hip, and severe problems with my other leg. Not a word of explanation or apology. I can understand that my bedspace was urgently required, but my discharge need not have been carried out in this humiliating, disgraceful and cavalier manner, such that other patients were able to witness everything and commented on it when the staff vanished to leave me to finish the job they had so appallingly started.

Response from Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We are sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations. We take concerns seriously and are keen to investigate and take action as appropriate. In order for us to do this, please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service by emailing pals.team@gwh.nhs.uk or calling 01793 604031.