"Poor staff attitude and hygiene at RAH"

About: Royal Alexandra Hospital / General Medicine

On admission almost all of the nursing staff are polite and hardworking. They appear to be extremely busy and do the best they can for their patients.

However, some of the staff were rude and offensive in nature. On hearing someone ask for their curtains not to be opened as that patient had a migraine the attitude from the staff member was disgraceful. She told the patient that it was not allowed and she would be seeing about this, before stomping off almost pulling the curtains of the rail!

The bathroom was disgusting with what appeared to be faeces and blood on the door and handle. (I have photos )I approached staff at the desk to advise them. After finally lifted their head after what seemed like a few mins and they just shrugged and appeared not to have cared less.

Dear Bnobo,

Thank you for sharing your experience, which seems to have been a very mixed one unfortunately. While I am glad that most of the nursing staff you encountered were polite and hardworking, it is disappointing that there were a few who didn't always meet the same standard. While the example you have shared can be used more widely to demonstrate how we shouldn't be communicating with those in our care, it would also help me to look at this more specifically if you could give me some more details about the ward you were in and when that was. You can do this by emailing me directly on lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk.

While it helps people to get specific feedback to let them reflect on their practice personally, it is also something that we are focusing on more widely as a Board to ensure that all of our patients, and their loved ones, are treated with respect and kindness at all times. Therefore, whether you are able to get in touch with me or not, I'd like to reassure you that your comments will be taken on board as part of that work.

The cleanliness of the bathroom will also be highlighted to my Facilities colleagues, but again there is something about the communication around this and how everyone on the ward works together to ensure the best environment and experience possible.

Thank you for sharing your experience on Patient Opinion and I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Wishes,