"The guidance from my doctors and CPN made a huge difference in my recovery"

About: Three Towns Resource Centre / General Psychiatry

I have suffered with depression since I was a teenager. I am now in my 40s! . I have had three quite serious longer term bouts of depression and have always been supported by the North Ayrshire Mental Health team.

Two years ago having struggled with ill health and stress at work. I found myself stuggling to cope and falling into a very deep depression, which included self harming and an addiction to painkillers. From the beginning, speaking to my GP I was referred back to the community mental health team, and have found the support from staff to be invaluable. Throughout my recovery I have had continuing support from from all staff helping me to cope through very difficult times.

To have someone there outwith the family circle for me was very important, as I found it difficult to relate how I felt to an already worried family. The guidance from my doctors and CPN made a huge difference in my recovery. I have also taken part in CBT, something I had found difficult before. CBT has been invaluable for me giving me new insights in the ways I think and see the world and strategies for coping with many situations I found difficult before, helping me to deal with stress in a more constructive way and not allowing stress to control my moods. I would like to offer my gratitude to Dr Hart, Lesly Ann and Ian McIntyre for all of your continuing support and helping me to become a stronger person.

Dear Reagan1,

I was very humbled when I read your story. You have taken the time to share a very personal journey and I would like to thank you for that. I will be delighted to pass your story to the team and Dr Hart, Lesly Ann and Ian McIntyre so they know how much you appreciated their care. You must also take acknowledge how well you have done coping under such difficulties.

Thank you again for sharing this with us,

Best wishes,

Eunice

Response from Derek Barron, Associate Nurse Director, Mental Health Services, NHS Ayrshire and Arran

Reagan1

Thank you for your feedback, I know the team involved will be very pleased to hear their input and care is making a difference.

Best wishes in your ongoing journey of recovery, I'm pleased the team are beside you supporting you.

Derek