"Seriously disappointed"

About: William Harvey Hospital

I am absolutely disgusted that a hospital that has an adolescent ward has refused to allow a 17 year old girl to be admitted to that ward, instead she has been placed on a ward with women ageing from 40 to 80+ some of which are suffering from dementia and spend the entire night shouting out. My daughter is currently still on this ward having been admitted early in the week with sepsis and blood clots on the lung. During the night she is feeling unsafe, unable to sleep, her first night on this ward there was only 1 nurse and 1 hca covering 18 patients which meant she could not get her pain relief as it was a controlled drug so needed 2 qualified signatures. Being in this environment is causing her unneccessary stress and upset when she is already a very sick young lady. She is on Cambridge M1.

There is far more I could go into with regards to cleanliness however the photos of this we will deal with shortly and our main concern right now is her well-being.

Response from Sally Smith, Chief Nurse and Director Of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

I am so sorry to hear about this experience. I would like to look into this for you. Please may you email me on Sally.smith2@nhs.net and I will ask the Matron to come to the ward and meet with you.

once again, please accept my apologies for what you and your daughter are going through.

Best regards,