"Discharge of my mother"

About: Hairmyres Hospital / Care of the Elderly Hairmyres Hospital / General Medicine Scottish Ambulance Service / Patient Transport Service

My mother was admitted to Ward 2 at the weekend and was discharged on Sunday. Ambulance transport brought her home and put her into bed.

As they left, her carer arrived and took her to toilet. We could not believe the state she was in, she had had an incontinence pad on which had obviously been on for MANY hours as it was soaked right through and onto her pyjamas and dressing gown and had soaked the bed also (which I had just changed and had to change again! )

My mum said she had asked to be taken to the toilet whilst in the ward but no one had taken her. Whilst I appreciate the pressure staff are under, I was very disappointed at the state she arrived home in, given the fact that she has problems with her behind and regularly has open wounds on her bottom as she is bed bound.

Response from Pat O'Meara, National Head of Ambulance Control Services, Ambulance Control Centres, Scottish Ambulance Service

Dear W33SPK,

I was very sorry to read about your mother's experience. It sounds very distressing.

I'd like to find out what information was given about her discharge and speak to the crew who took her home. Unfortunately I am unable to find a record of us taking anyone home on any Sunday in the last few weeks from Hairmyres Hospital. It is possible that it was not the Scottish Ambulance Service that conveyed her. but please could you contact me on 0141 810 6101 so that I can look in to this for you.

I hope that your mother is recovering well.

Pat

Response from Lise Axford, Senior Nurse, Emergency Medicine, Hairmyres Hospital

Dear W33SPK

I am sorry to hear about the concerns surrounding your mother's discharge. I would like to look into the issues that you have raised in more detail. I would be very grateful if you would contact patient affairs on 01355 585325.

Lise

Dear W33SPK,

Thank you very much for your time on the phone earlier and for talking about the ambulance crew who took your mum home. It was very kind of you to say that you had no concerns about their care of her but I was very sorry to hear that she is not doing too well.

Please let me know if I can be of any more help to you or your family.

Regards,

Pat

• W33SPK thinks this response is helpful

Response from Lise Axford, Senior Nurse, Emergency Medicine, Hairmyres Hospital

Dear W33SPK

Thank you for contacting patient affairs. I appreciate you taking the time to discuss your concerns.

Lise

• W33SPK thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by W33SPK (a relative)

Thank you for the lovely responses I have received from the ambulance service and staff at the hospital. I have been informed that it was a private ambulance and not the Scottish Ambulance Service who brought my mother home but would like to express my thanks for the Scottish Ambulance Service's investigation. I had no concerns about the ambulance crew but it's good to know things have been thoroughly looked into. Kind regards.