"A&E visit"

About: Grantham & District Hospital / Accident and emergency Grantham & District Hospital / X-ray and Scans United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Went to A&E after a fall from a ladder. Had to wait 4 days because the ER at Grantham was closed because of a fire ( the fire was in a generator in a different part of the hospital but they still closed the ER? ?

Anyway once in the ER it took almost 2. 5 hours to see a DR. I was given X-rays and after looking at them the Dr said there were no fractures and just ligament damaged. Had my fingers taped together by a nurse and sent on my way with an appointment 10 days later at the soft tissue clinic. Total time in the ER 5 hours! !

Later that evening I received a voicemail stating that after further review of my X Ray I could have a fracture! ! They had made me an appointment 5 DAYS later at the fracture clinic for assessment!

Now I'm no Dr, but if I was, I would hope I could spot a fractured bone on an X-ray! !

Meanwhile, I sit waiting for an appointment for a real diagnosis and hopefully proper treatment of the problem.

To say I am dismayed by the service is an understatement.

I don't think this can be called top class health care! !

A T.V in the waiting room would be an improvement.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Youcouldntwriteit,

I am sorry that you were unable to access our services at Grantham Hospital due to the fire which affected our essential electrical services. The department was closed from Tuesday night until Wednesday evening when we were able to open a restricted service. The department was able to open fully to all conditions on the Thursday.

We apologise for the delay in seeing medical staff and the subsequent treatment. X-rays done in the department are always reviewed by radiologists (specialist medical staff) who are trained to review x-rays. If they spot something not discovered during the consultation then we normally contact the patient for a review at a later date. I apologise if this was not explained to you at the time.

If you have any concerns regarding your injury please contact the department and we will arrange to get you reviewed as soon as possible.

John A Boulton