"It felt like a mechanical event"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / General surgery

I gagged and bawked throughout the endoscopy procedure and and I dont think that the staff were prepared for my reaction. The procedure had to be aborted. . It felt like a mechanical event and I felt extremely distressed whilst the staff continued with there tasks. No way will I ever put myself through that again. It was awful. I am apparently sensitive or human.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Barbara anne,

I am sorry to hear that you found the procedure in our Endoscopy Department so distressing. Unfortunately the procedures carried out in the department can cause distress to some patients and I am sorry if you were not made aware of that in an appropriate way.

Certainly the staff on the department should have been supportive and tried to help with the distress you felt, there are options that are available to relieve discomfort such as throat spray or some medication to make a patient more relaxed so please accept my apologies if these were not offered or explained to you.

I am very concerned that you felt staff did not treat you well and or as an individual, a nurse should always be with a patient to offer comfort and assist with their needs.

I will discuss this with the staff and the Sister on the unit however if you wish to discuss further please contact me on Julie.scott@ulh.nhs.uk and I will ring you back.

Once again please accept my apologies.

Kind Regards,