"My daughter's gender dysphoria"

About: West London Mental Health NHS Trust / Gender Identity Clinic

(as a parent/guardian),

Can the first GIC appointment take 2 years the second another year and surgery for mtf surgery? In all I've been waiting 4 years! I guess a lot is said but at the end of the day I feel like if I want medication support or surgery as a transgender, I need to leave UK. GIC gives us no hope.

There has been absolutely no support for us and I know of some families who are try their best to pay privately to give support to their teens in need of medication and surgery.

I think GIC staff should be trained by dsyphoria professionals and show sensitivity to these patients left in limbo...The Cxh system has been awful and we feel abandoned.

Response from West London Mental Health NHS Trust

On behalf of Dr J Barrett

The two year wait to get to the clinic, and the delay between first and second appointment are results of overwhelming demand and historical underfunding. We are now recruiting new staff so things should start to improve. The clinic is said to be the only one in England with a currently falling, rather than rising, waiting list although, obviously, things are not where we would ideally want them to be.

• AB GIC doesn't think this response is helpful
    {{helpful}} of {{totalOthers()}} other people think it is helpful