"Communication barriers"

About: New Victoria Hospital / Day hospital New Victoria Hospital / X-rays and scans

I feel I was repeatedly the victim of mismanagement and incompetence on several occasions during admissions to the old and new Victoria Hospitals. I was left without food and water for unacceptable periods of time in awful condition i feel.

I have also just experienced difficulty in confirming an MRI appointment; the number on the letter led to answer phone message stating the staff could not take the call because they were on holiday, the line is now dead. Upon dialing the main inquiry number, after a long wait I was cut off!

Dear Perseverance,

First of all, let me apologise for the delay in me responding to you here. There are two aspects to the feedback you have given which I would like to look at separately.

First of all, with regards to the communication problems you experienced, I wanted to check the number that was provided on the letter you received. The correct number for confirming an appointment is 0141 347 8379 - this will take you through to the contact centre and then you press 1 to confirm your appointment (you will be given a list of options). It would be helpful to understand a bit more the issue you had - was it that the number on the letter was the wrong one, or was the number above the one you called and there have been problems answering it? If you could let me know either way that would be great - it will let me understand better where we need to improve.

The other points you raise are much more serious and I am really sorry to hear that this was your experience when you were a patient in our hospitals. If you feel you can give me more information about your experience I would be really grateful - my email address is lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk. Patient safety is of course our highest priority, and this includes keeping people fed and nourished. If we fall below the standards we expect, it is important that we know about it in order to make sure we can do something about it.

I hope to hear from you soon,

With best wishes,