"Robots or parents - I'm not sure?"

Having used the services in regard to proactively supporting a child with a working diagnosis of autism we were at moment dissapointed.

At moments we the parents found a lack of personability in using the service, which at stages didn't feel to recognise the importance of equal conversation with a father being present in attendance at appointments, nor good empathetic eye contact, warmth or making aware of supporting services available in the area, until having visited another organisation that pointed us straight away in the right direction.

At stages there presented more importance to looking at computer screens than conversing with us the parents and adding anything constructive to the pot.

At those moments we felt shipped in and shipped out.

Response from St George's Hospital

On behalf of our children’s services I would like to apologise for the experience that you had. I will raise with the team the importance of engaging with all of the family within an appointment as well as the sensitive use of the recording of information so that it does not disrupt the appointment. With regard to information we are not a service that specialises in autism and we do not always know of the wider range of specialist support services for young people with autism. I am glad to hear that you have been provided with some guidance from the organisation that you are now working with and I wish you and your family the best for the future. As an organisation we welcome feedback and suggestions about how we can improve and Mr David Pike our General Manager of Children’s Services would be more than happy to meet with you to learn more about your experiences and address the concerns that you have raised.

Mr Pike can be contacted on 01543 442012 or by emailing him at david.pike@sssft.nhs.uk.

Once again many thanks for leaving your feedback.