"Leg surgery"

About: Royal Orthopaedic Hospital

I arrived at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital terrified! I hadn't had a hospital stay for over thirty years and was now facing the removal of a large malignant tumour in my thigh. I was operated on the same day and the turning point in my fear was when I was prepared for anaesthetic and confessed my fear to the team. Straight away a calmness and reassurance was there that swept away everything and allowed me to give myself over for the relatively large procedure with total confidence. I was going to be OK, I knew it.

After surgery, with the focus on recovery and getting me slowly up and about, I found myself surrounded by staff who went above and beyond to support, help and encourage me. Facing a large operation is a worrying thing. But I came through it all, feeling good, positive – all because of the special teams that looked after me. I just can't praise this hospital enough.

Response from Sally Xerri-Brooks, Head of Communications, Communications, Royal Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Martin,

Thanks so much for your feedback. I'm so pleased we were able to allay your fears and take care of you in a way that put you at your ease. I hope that you continue to recover well.

With thanks and best wishes

Sally Xerri-Brooks