"Dismissive and condescending consultant"

About: Maidstone District General Hospital

Visited the oncology department with my mother and father today following my fathers recent MRI scan. The results were delivered in what I would describe as a dismissive and insensitive manner. Indeed at one point the consultant seemed indignant at our shock, basically implying 'well what did you expect?' the consultant's manner was both condescending and without compassion. In contrast a visit to their registrar some weeks earlier was precisely how I would expect a doctor, especially an oncologist, to be ie caring and empathetic. Does consultant status immediately remove any shred of human kindness towards patients . I am depressed at what I have witnessed today...superiority and disdain towards those in a vulnerable predicament.

Response from Maidstone District General Hospital

Thank you for taking time to leave feedback on your recent visit to Maidstone Hospital.

We were very sorry to learn of your poor experience and we would be happy to discuss this further with you.

Please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01892 632953 or email us at mtw-tr.palsoffice@nhs.net where a member of the team will be happy to help.

In the meantime, we will share your comments with the Clinical Director for Cancer and Haematology.

Kind regards, The PALS Team.