"Rude, belittling paediatric A&E doctor"

About: Barnet General Hospital

My teenage son was sent to the A&E department by our gp after visiting her with a great deal of pain in his calf. The gp asked us to attend as they were concerned about a possible clot. We checked in at the desk and saw a triage nurse and blood test nurse immediately, all three of these members of staff were lovely. After three hours we were called in by a doctor who showed no compassion, and made my son and I feel as though we had no right to be there. The doctor told us my gp shouldn't have sent us there as my son had probably pulled a muscle and he was being a "wimp", and to go home and take some ibuprofen. We found the manner and way the doctor spoke upsetting and as though we were being told off. I was attending as directed by another doctor. Blood was taken to test for clots, however I was told an insufficient quantity was drawn for the test so this was not carried out. Absolutely the most UN-reassuring doctor experience ever.

Response from Barnet General Hospital

Thank you for your review and we're really sorry to hear about your experience. We would be grateful if you could contact our PALS team on 020 8216 4924

or bcfpals@nhs.net with further details so that we can look in to this.