"PICU and Ward D34 following scoliosis..."

About: Queen's Medical Centre

My daughter and I stayed in PICU for 2 nights and ward D34 for 6 nights following my 14 year old’s spinal surgery to correct her scoliosis curve.

All the health professionals we came into contact with – anaesthetist, spinal doctors and spinal nurse, recovery nurses, PICU nurses/doctors, Ward D34 team were attentive, professional and delivered a brilliant, caring service.

Not only that but the school teachers and activity workers made my daughter’s time in hospital more comfortable and easier.

The only draw back is the inappropriateness of having teenage girls mixed with babies in the same bay, which made night times a bit stressful.

But ending on a good note, I’d highly recommend QMC for this type of surgery.

Response from Queen's Medical Centre

Thank you for your recommendation and kind words.

I’m glad to hear about the excellent care your daughter received during and following her surgery.

I’ve shared your comments (including your feedback about babies and teenagers being in the same bay) with the ward teams, and also with my colleagues in our hospital school and youth service so that we can consider what we can do to improve experience for future patients and their families.

Best wishes