"Having a benign mole removed at a local GP surgery"

About: Dermatology Clinic

I had a small mole that was rubbing in an awkward place. I asked my GP if it could be removed and was referred to a clinic at another local GP practice. I thought that was odd but discovered it was a local surgery delivered by the Dermatology Department of our local hospital.

I had to confirm I could attend the appointment in advance - always good practice - and when I arrived it felt immediately like a hospital rather than a GP appointment. Firstly, there was a nurse attending with the Doctor then lots of paperwork to be completed and questions to be answered before the Doctor even looked at the mole.

However, 30 minutes later I had left with the mole removed, clear knowledge of what were the next steps re stitches and mole results. As a complete bonus I also had the time and opportunity to have a discussion on another skin issue with the Doctor resulting in a prescription and a recommendation to find a permanent solution.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by how speedily and professionally I was treated and appreciated having the time with a specialist to discuss wider issues during a minor surgery appointment. I think the whole experience benefitted from not being in a hospital environment but in a more familiar, quieter and calmer environment where the staff treating me had no distractions

Response from Neil Doherty, Practice Manager, Cathcart Street Practice

Hello Magdalene,

Thank you for taking the time to write in and let us know about the service you received.

I am really glad to hear that you were pleasantly surprised by the service we were able to provide on this occasion. We too believe that this service is a great addition to the hospital provision within Ayrshire and Arran and look forward to ensuring many more positive experiences for our patients!

Response from Kate MacDonald, Business Coordinator & Office Manager (interim), Nurse Directorate, NHS Ayrshire and Arran, NHS Ayrshire and Arran

Dear Magdalene

Thank you for posting on Patient Opinion, it was great to hear what super care you recevied.

I will ensure that you story is shared with our Dermatology department.