"Problems being referred to IAPT"

About: Let’s Talk Well Being ( IAPT) – Nottinghamshire

This service was called Good Thinking Therapy but has changed who manages the trust and the name to Let's Talk IAPT Leicestershire, Nottingham Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust.

I stated my name and I wanted to self refer, they said I need to go to the GP that was it.

I discussed previous concerns with the service so the referred it to PALS, they would not let me speak to a Director, Governor and make various threatening remarks telling me they would not help for 6 months.

If one has health issues they should put the person rather than processes or positions or professionals, they do not make it easy and my anxiety again got worse to the point I had to go on medication.

Response from Peter Caunt, Let’s Talk Wellbeing Service Director, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

We are sorry that our usually high quality service did not meet your needs. We do accept self-referrals for patients who are suitable for our service which includes mild to moderate anxiety and depression, and most common mental health problems. Unfortunately we are unable to help people with severe and complex mental health issues, however there are established services in Leicestershire which can help you if your problems fall into this category. If you would like to contact us direct please do so via our email address: letstalklcr@nottshc.nhs.uk

• Galaxynote65 doesn't think this response is helpful
    {{helpful}} of {{totalOthers()}} other people think it is helpful

Update posted by Galaxynote65 (the patient)

Dear Mr Caunt

I feel that it is inexcusable to play therapy ping pong with peoples health, s When it comes to my mental health issues I would like it if you write to a gp can you be clear about how this service is being delivered and the context in relation to the patient history and other relationships with the trust.

In terms of whether I qualify but to say you cannot have a service for six months and then state it has to be GP referral not self is not right. If one does email or call you dont reply or put the phone down going back to ping pong therapy to the detriment of the patient.

What do you think.a GP can do in 20 minutes and If they do not have time. This assumes of course you make sure you write to the right GP and not go on information two years old who would they refer me back to _ Lets Talk Leicestershire?

Over 4 years I think this service has not improved. Having been active now on twitter about these issues with the governors it looks like I will be offered a face to face meeting having previously been refused.

Dear Sir
I apologise that primary care services are for mild to moderate common mental health problems, and that more complex problems need more specialist help which is available within the NHS and adult mental health services. Your GP should be able to signpost you to the most effective services who could help with your psychological difficulties.

• Galaxynote65 doesn't think this response is helpful