"patient care"

About: Wishaw General Hospital / General Medicine

My father has been in Wishaw General Hospital for over 4 weeks.

My family has noticed a few niggles but have let it slide until this last one which happened the other night.

He had been left in the toilet for over an hour, when I complained to staff they said that they hadn't been told by the earlier shift that he was in the toilet. He is unable to get there himself so 2 nursing staff had to take him and these 2 staff have both forgot to pass this on to the shift change. By way of an apology is not good enough he is an older man and a vulnerable patient how you can forget you put a patient in the toilet is beyond me! Really angry about this. I spoke to staff saying that I wanted a complaint made, nurse listened to me and apologised again then said she didn't know what I wanted her to do about this but would pass it on. Not good enough.

Response from Faith McCrea, Service Manager, Emergency & Medical Services, Wishaw General Hospital

Dear concernedrelative1

Thank you for getting in touch and I am so sorry to hear of the concerns you have in relation to the care of your father. I can assure you that we would wish to look at this further to ensure appropriate care and attention is being provided to your father, at what must be a very worrying time for you and your family.

Further information would be helpful to be able to look at this and I would appreciate if you could contact Yvonne Ross our Patient Affairs Manager on 01698 366558, with more information.

As soon as we have this detail we will be happy to look in to this with the relevant ward area to ensure patient centred care is being delivered.

Kind Regards,

Response from Yvonne Ross, Patient Affairs Manager, Wishaw General Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear concernedrelative1

Thank you for taking the time to contact me. As discussed, I will ensure that the Senior Nurse addresses with the staff and appropriate action taken. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any other concerns