"Why the need for a weigh-in at Outpatients Clinics?"

About: Hairmyres Hospital / Gastroenterology

The response I get from nursing staff at Hairmyres when I decline to be weighed leaves a great deal to be desired.

Example, 'She doesn't want to be weighted'. She being the cat's mother!

I know I'm overweight & was happy to tell them what my scale says, I was weighed naked prior to breakfast that day. All the methods suggested by clinicians including dieticians have failed to produced results.

There are several issues here & many of them were covered in Episode 4 - Trust me I'm a Dr. The gastroenterologists & dieticians should be very interested in the Israeli study into gut microbiome levels.

Response from Gwen MacIntyre, Senior Nurse, Surgical & Critical care, Hairmyres Hospital

Dear Madge51,

I'm sorry that you had a poor experience in our Out Patient department when you declined to be weighed. Although this is an important part of tracking our patient journey and progress, no one should ever be made to feel uncomfortable at any time.

It is each individual's right to refuse monitoring or treatment however staff should respectfully note this decision and not comment in an uncaring manner.

I expect staff to be courteous, caring and compassionate and to treat every patient, relative and carer with respect and dignity. I'm sorry this was not your experience and I have passed both your comments and my own to the manager of Out Patient's department here at Hairmyres Hospital for a debrief with her staff regarding this matter.

I wish you well with your progress and kind wishes.

Gwen