"Frightening experience at Queen Elizabeth Glasgow A&E"

About: Queen Elizabeth University Hospital Glasgow / Accident & Emergency

Presented A&E department with continuous vomiting, distended abdomen, abdomen pain indicating bowel obstruction.

Arrived at 3 am, but it was 5.30 am before a doctor came. I was made to wait 2.5 hrs before pain relief was given. Even then IV paracetamol was denied. I was told Queen Elizabeth hospital does not allow IV paracetamol to be prescribed as it is highly dangerous, even though on previous episode it was prescribed.

I was offered oral paracetamol even though I was in excruciating pain and had continuous vomiting. Explained to the nurse that I was not able to keep anything down, so oral paracetamol would be of no effect, was told she only does what the doctor tells her. There was relay of symptoms to the doctor and again was left for hours with no pain relief and waiting for the doctor to attend.

Medical staff took 4 attempts to put in a cannula in, no explanation was given as to what medications were to be given and quantity, so had to keep asking what they were giving me.

Absolutely atrocious, frightening experience. I never want to end up in A&E again.

Dear Joshua123,

First of all, I would like to apologise for the delay in me getting back to you. There are a number of issues you have raised here which I think it is important we look into in greater detail, both from your individual perspective as well as more generally. Most specifically, the issues around delayed pain relief, but also the lack of communication about what was happening to you, or what medication you were being given should be addressed.

My email is lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk and I would appreciate you getting in touch, however please be assured that your comments will be passed on regardless as part of our processes to make sure that we are always making improvements to the experience of our patients.

I hope that you have made a complete recovery now, and wish you all the best.

Lorna