"Colonoscopy procedure"

About: Pilgrim Hospital

I had a colonoscopy on 06.02.2016. The pain I endured throughout the procedure was indescribable. The whole experience has left me somewhat traumatised.

I have had children, suffered pain from large gall stones in a diseased gall bladder and had several painful episodes from an inflamed Hiatus Hernia and have always considered myself to have a fairly high pain threshold.

During the procedure there was a lack of bedside manner and when I had a cannular fitted I lay on my back with my hand up in mid air. My confidence was then lowered when I heard the words, I think thats in properly.

The sedation and gas and air seemed to have no effect on my pain.

There were no words of comfort or reassurance offered and it just continued despite my obvious pain and distress.

I have been compelled to write this review after reading my Endoscopy report.

It states that I was very anxious and tolerated the procedure poorly.

This insinuates that I couldn`t handle it and didn`t cope. Well I did cope and suffered the pain until the procedure was over.

Prior to the Colonoscopy I had spoken to other people who had experienced one and the general response was that I might feel some discomfort so I wonder why I suffered such intense pain throughout.

This review is not designed to be a complaint but to inform you of my experience and hopefully you will be able to take from it information which can be used to help future patients.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Please accept my apologies that you had a negative experience during your procedure.

I would like to investigate this further for you, to be able to look at what happened to ensure that any issues are dealt with.

I realise that you have decided to remain anonymous but I would welcome you contacting myself directly so we can discuss.

You can email me, Julie Scott (Matron ) on julie.scott@ulh.nhs.uk or contact Nikki Woodcock (Head of Endoscopy) on nikki.woodcock@ulh.nhs.uk. We are available by telephone and you can contact either of us though switchboard on 01522 51251 and request to speak to us.

Once again I would like to apologise that you had the experience you did.

Julie Scott