"Friendly, informative and reassuring"

About: Wishaw General Hospital / Endoscopy

Had standard two yearly bowel screening test as I am over 50. Test results had come back with traces of blood. Therefore I needed to have a bowel screening interview prior to having a colonoscopy (bowel investigation with camera). The member of staff who interviewed me (Gillian), phoned me at a pre-agreed time, asked me a series of questions about my past and present health and what medication I was taking. She then explained what the procedure would be on the day including what drugs would be administered and confirmed that as I would be taking a sedative I would need someone to take me home/be with me for the next 24 hours. The interviewer was friendly, informative and reassuring and put me at ease regarding the procedure. She also advised that I could contact her again if I needed further information.

Response from Maureen Dobbin, Senior Nurse, Surgical & Critical Care, Wishaw General Hospital

Dear Andrew12,

Thank you for taking the time to post such positive comments about your preassessment with Gillian. I am delighted to hear that she explained everything so throughly and gave you reassurance about the procedure and what to expect.

I will pass on your comments to Gillian as she will be very pleased to receive such positive feedback.

Many Thanks