"Great place and caring staff"

A wonderful community hospital. Clean lovely single rooms, very dignified and respectful. Easy To visit

The daily staff were always on hand to discuss.

The only (failrly major issue) was:

Food could be better- previously this hospital cooked its own meals, which were lovely. Now they are frozen packed meals which are mostly not very good.

I suppose this reflects the cuts but it must be possible to provide good home cooked food economically in some sort of sharing ┼Áith local school and care home and those delivering food to the homes of the elderly.

I think this is very important for the recovery process - particularly for the elderly who stay quite a long time and who have issues with eating.

Eating prepackaged processed food for more than a couple of days is pretty unpalatable however balanced the contents are supposed to be.

Response from Ruth Lancaster James Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback regarding Alston Hospital.

It is pleasing to know that you think it is a great place and the staff are caring.

I am sorry that you feel that the food could be better, the Patient Experience Team gather feedback from patients on discharge and on our bimonthly visits to the ward and the day service and we always receive positive feedback regarding the meals.

I will ensure that your comments are provided to the facilities team, if you would like some information on the company that provides the meals please email pet@cumbria.nhs and we will send you some information. thank you