"Very Rough Sonographer At First Scan"

About: St Mary's Hospital (London)

I had my first scan last week at 13 weeks. We were told our baby was in the wrong position so the Sonographer poked and proded and we could see our baby's head and body bouncing all over the place. The Sonographer tried a couple of times and I walked around and drank something sweet to encourage our baby to move around. It was very painful and uncomfortable. That night I couldn't sleep as the abdominal pain was so bad. I hadn't had such pain before. The Sonographer was so rough and digged so deep that I'm now really worried. They were so rough they actually flipped our baby over a few times. We heard the heartbeat and the saw our baby move. Could the Sonographer have done any harm? I really wish I said something at the time but was intimidated as I thought they knew best. They could hear me say things like "ouch" and could see me squirming due to the pain and discomfort.

Response from St Mary's Hospital

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust is extremely concerned about your comments you have posted on NHS Choices.

We would like to apologise for your experience using the ante natal clinic at St Mary's hospital.

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) would like to discuss this matter further and have the opportunity to look into your concerns.

We would encourage you to contact PALS by email on pals@imperial.nhs.uk or by telephone 0203 313 0088