"Good communication between staff ..."

About: Stepping Hill Hospital

Good communication between staff and me. I was not left "in the dark" and at any stage of my treatment, procedures were explained to me and risks made clear. My initial treatment began in Birmingham after I had a serious fall on ice, so I was able to compare the functioning of 2 NHS Trust hospitals within a short time of each other. Stepping Hill handled my case much more professionally.

I was sent with X-ray plates of my wrist fracture from Birmingham to Stepping Hill the day after the accident and told to report to A&E with these and a letter from the orthopaedic consultant in Birmingham. I had elected to have surgery on the injury in Stepping Hill rather than in Birmingham because I wanted to be nearer home, it was the week running up to Christmas and I wanted to be close to my wife and family. Unfortunately, despite having been "triaged" and treated at Birmingham, I had to wait 3 hours in A&E before anyone on the traua team could see me. I would add, however, the fact that the weekend was one of severe winter weather and there were many people in A&E waiting to be seen.

Massive praise to the staff of the Short Stay Surgical Unit for their efficient, kind and professional care. I felt in very safe hands.

Response from Stepping Hill Hospital

Thank you for your comments and in particular for your very positive comments about our Short Stay Surgical Unit. I am sorry you experienced a 3 hour wait in A&E but at that particular time the weather conditions were exceptional and the department was extremely busy which contributed to longer patient waiting times. Thank you for your patience and understanding.