"Poor communication skills by reception staff at..."

About: Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital (Welwyn Garden City)

This is the second time in the UCC. Greeted by a friendly volunteer who is helpful gives a first great impression.

However, than it starts to go wrong.

With everybody overhearing you a triage nurse asks you questions in earshot of everyone else waiting.

The 2 reception staff members on both occasions have some of the poorest communication skills I encountered for a long time.

They stare at their computer screens not acknowledging you at first, then no greeting, no smile, no gentle kind tone in their voice a very factual conversation.

No indication what the wait might be, the board is out of date by 2 hours giving an update on waiting times.

I split my review in this negative part.

A second one will highlight the excellent care by the team once I am seen by the team.

Response from Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital

We're really sorry that your experience of the first part of your attendance at the New QEII's urgent care centre was not as good as we would have liked.

We've shared your comments with the lead nurse for the service - we know that she will be grateful to have received them and will seek to act on your feedback to help improve the service for others.