"I like community hospitals, I ..."

About: Delancey Hospital

What I liked I like community hospitals, I think that they offer something that no consolidated 'centre of excellence' can offer, especially to older people. I appreciate that there is a need for both, but the 'centralised' model does not suit everyone. Anything else? I welcome the comment, by the doctor on Radio Gloucestershire, that the Hospital Trust intends to provide more services for older people through GP's surgeries and community hospitals. I wonder where this leaves the future of Delancey Hospital. The last I heard was that it was scheduled to be closed. Has this decision now been reversed, or is the hospital being replaced by a new community hospital in the area?

Response from Delancey Hospital

Many thanks for your comments. Delancey Hospital is indeed closed apart from some outpatient clinics and non-clinical services. We recognise that community hospitals have a vital role to play as part of the healthcare community and also that many services for older people are better provided within the community, although not always in a hospital setting.

Currently there are no plans to provide a community hospital in Cheltenham.